Seoraksan National Park

Saturday 22nd October, we all set off bright and early (6.30am!) to Seoraksan National Park, on the far side of the Korean peninsula. As the coach departed Incheon Bus Terminal, there was a distinct feeling of being on a school trip – laden with snacks, ensuring we got the back seats of the bus, already needing a toilet stop, and even being told off by the bus driver for being too noisy!

Four hours, one emergency toilet break, and half a dozen power naps later, we arrived in Sokcho, the main town outside Seoraksan National Park. From there we headed straight into the park, to be greeted by a giant Buddha statue, and began our first walk. I say walk, it was more like a 3km long queue there was that many people there. Autumn is the most popular time to go to Seoraksan because of the trees changing colour and it was beautiful, well worth battling through the crowds for. The weather was pretty rubbish, but even the rain wasn’t enough to dampen our spirits. We even saw a chipmunk!

After our mini-hike, we decided to take the lazy route to the top of Mount Seorak – the cable car. Unfortunately though, the weather was so bad that when we got to the top we could barely see each other, never mind the view! So back down we went – after a couple of beers and Korean honey pancakes. It was getting dark by this point so we headed back to Sokcho to experience the delights of the fish market there. For someone who has a pretty big phobia of crabs it wasn’t the best idea. We were then taken to our cabin for the night, cracked some more beers open and got the barbie going. It was like DIY galbi! Several beers and a couple of bottles of soju later, after the sensible ones among us had called it a night, we decided to go down to the beach to light some fireworks and have yet more beer, somehow forgetting that we were getting up at 6am to visit a temple. Nevertheless I was shaken awake just before 6am, with a pounding headache, and off we went to Naksan Temple. It was amazing, right up on a clifftop overlooking the sea, and it was so peaceful and serene.

After packing up our things, we took what is probably the worst bus in the world back to the park. With all the rattling over potholes and being thrown around the bus (there were no seats left) our decision to finish all the beer the night before suddenly didn’t seem so smart. This time we separated ourselves from the hoardes of ajummas, fully kitted out in black and pink hiking gear, with coordinating visors perched on top of their standard issue perm and matching dark sunglasses. Up, up, and up we trekked, the footpath soon disappeared and soon we were just pulling each other up giant boulders and across rickety wooden bridges. When we got to the top we saw the most beautiful waterfalls, and after half an hour of trying to get our breath back we set off back down the boulders and bridges. A short while on that bus again and we were back at Sokcho coach station, ready to get back to Incheon – and hot water.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s